The 23rd International Biennial of Humour and Satire in Art is comprised of a competition and a curated exhibition. The competition is held in two sections: cartoons and contemporary art.
For the first time this year the submission of entries will be conducted entirely online. In order to ensure their successful entry, all candidates should fill the participation form in accordance with the General Entry Rules of the 23rd International Biennial of Humour and Satire in Art. Organizers are Museum House of Humour and Satire, Gabrovo Municipality and the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Bulgaria. The Organizing Committee is chaired by the Mayor of Gabrovo.
Opening: 19th May 2017, 7.00 p.m. at the Museum House of Humour and Satire, Gabrovo
Theme: Laughing in the Face of… /fear, crises, adversity, the status quo, or something else – artists are invited to complete the phrase and make a statement by addressing the present day and its social, economic, political, cultural and daily problems and challenges./
- Golden Aesop Prize – a statuette and 5 000 BGN (appr. 2 550 euro)
- Gascar Prize of the town of Gabrovo awarded to a young artist (up to 40 yrs.) – a statuette and 3 000 BGN (appr. 1 530 euro)
- Special prize given by Skalni Materiali JS Co-Rousse – 3 000 BGN (appr. 1 530 euro)
The cartoons competition section includes the following categories:
- Cartoons (original works signed by the artists and digital works, up to A3 size)
- Animated cartoons (gif and flash)
- Printed cartoon publications (albums, catalogues, artists’ books)
- Grand Prix – 3 000 BGN (appr. 1 530 euro)
- Prize for cartoon (hand-signed originals and digital drawings) – 2 000 BGN (appr. 1 020 euro)
- Prize for animated cartoon (gif and flash formats) – 2 000 BGN (appr. 1 020 euro)
Prize for printed cartoon publication – 1 000 BGN (appr. 510 euro)
The prizewinning works remain in the Humour of the Peoples art collection of the Museum House of Humour and Satire.
The organizers kindly invite all artists to visit Gabrovo on 19th May 2017 for the opening of the Biennial exhibition and join in the Gabrovo carnival.